Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Address to the Region

Hail, Selenids.

With the ascension of myself to the position of Prime Minister of Selene yesterday at the behest of the Emperor, Selene has entered a new phase in its history. This phase, following the details of the plan I hold of Selene, will be seen in future generations of roleplayers as the most fateful time for our region, as that of a difficult and hardy time. Should our community fail to meet good expectations set forth here today, then our region will go through a difficult time indeed, but should we succeed, then Selene will have risen from the ashes to embody a regional phoenix that has surpassed and will continue to surpass our great expectations.

With that in mind, and with the grace and blessing of the Emperor, I am hereby issuing a challenge to all Selenids: If we cannot approach and surpass a level of activity in the month following this address that is acceptable to all members, then the community as a whole has failed, from leadership down to the rank and file members of the region. We cannot allow such a community to continue on in its present form if we do not meet a basic activity requirement of four posts for every nation that currently exists on our regional map.

The purpose for such a requirement is more quantifiable than qualifiable. The success of our region should not be measured in simple post counts, it must be measured in terms of the fulfillment of the reason we log into NationStates and continue to read and post: fun. However, the most glaring barrier to having fun is the lack of posting, and with assistance as needed and a baseline minimum set, the lack of posting may turn around and result in a stronger desire to post as well, which will avalanche into productivity and fun.

I do not believe this is a difficult goal to accomplish in the slightest regard. Our community has some of the most productive minds I’ve ever seen in my time in NationStates, and at a mere four posts a month for every nation with the large array of possibilities for RP? Such a goal should be the average activity for our region at the least, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and the desperate measures I intend to fulfill should we fail are extreme indeed. It is what I have been colloquially referring to as Order 76.

The most important thing to note about this order, however, is that this is not the first choice, but the last. The government does not want to have to enact this, but we shall have to if the community does not answer the collective goal set out in front of it in a manner that we may all be pleased with. With this in mind, the parts of Order 76 are, in brief, as follows: Create a backup of the forum of Selene, the Byzantium Herald, the Bulletins, the World Factbook Entry, and any dispatches created in an official capacity for Selene; Reinstall the forum from scratch, with new themes, a new forum organisation if necessary, new introduction threads as necessary for the official map, the Ekklesia, the canon of our RP, and anything else deemed appropriate; Create a new homepage to serve the needs of both Selenids and foreigners who visit selene.online, by adding or removing pages as needed; Create a new World Factbook Entry to reflect any possible changes in themes and designs as necessary; Recruit in earnest emphasising the need and requirement for activity for new Selenids; and enforce a new activity requirement with the addition of a prize should the region be active enough. In short, it is a Grand Purge, and a fresh start for a region that bills itself as A Fresh Start.

I must re-emphasise that this is the final option for the government, and that we would highly prefer to avoid enacting it if the community will answer the call. It would destroy the work that we have all put into our canon and region, and that is not an option anyone would want to take that feels even the slightest investment. The Emperor and I strongly want this region to succeed in its current form, and we will assist any Selenid that asks for our help so that we may all come together to create a better and more active region.

As Prime Minister of Selene, I hold the Emperor’s blessing to do whatever is necessary to encourage activity, and in the time leading until July 19th when the challenge I have issued earlier expires, I will recommend to the Emperor that any Selenid that reaches and exceeds the four posts required in this month by a factor of two should become a Member of the Order of Selene, and that any Selenid who actively assists others shall become a Baron. We must reward those who go above and beyond in this trying time, and this is but a simple way we may do it.

There has been deliberation over a possible move of the main chat service back to IRC, and I would like to cement that the region is not being forced to move their preferred chat services at all. The server on Discord will not be deleted to force a move, but instead, I will personally use it less to encourage the community to move to IRC. Whatever chat service the region uses, it has not helped with activity a great deal, but by moving back to where we started, with IRC’s possibilities in clients and customisation for each person, and the lack of major software issues that have been experienced with Discord, I hope we may continue to chat quickly and effectively within our community.

To assist the Emperor and I in ensuring a high quality of activity, I am appointing Tek as Deputy Prime Minister and as Roleplay Councillor. Their experience in a wide variety of roleplay will be an asset to our region, and by consulting with them on ways to continue activity and increase the quality of our RPs, they will serve Selene as no other Roleplay Councillor has before.

Selene is meant to be a Fresh Start for all of us. If we can all commit to ensuring that the fresh start we came here for is not a start with our feet in cement and our hands shackled, then we can commit ourselves to making certain that we will never return to the abyss that has plagued our region for the past year.

Long live Selene.
Viva el Movimiento del Sonido Político.

Constantine Lambros
Prime Minister of Selene