Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Ruling Request - Fornoire Navy

Problem - Fornirian Navy set at 413 Vessels
Request - Rule on the Realism and Legality of Naval Size

Fornoire claims to have a navy number 413 Vessels as he states that with his nation's long Naval Tradition + 5% Military Spending from a $3 Trillion GDP + Having a population of 200 Million should allow him to maintain, staff and supply a fleet of this size. 

I submit that the United States of America IRL only has about 430 Vessels. The Russian Navy has 271 Vessels. 

As Fornoire like all other nations in Artemia are not superpowers I submit that navies should not exceed 230 Vessels. Most nations should they choose to focus on naval efforts rather than air force or army I would submit that they should emulate regional powers like;
Spain - 131 vessels
Italy - 184 vessels
Japan - 154 vessels

I further submit that the French only maintain a 90 ship fleet even though they have numerous possessions throughout the world as remnants of their Colonial Empire. The British as well have remnants of their Empire but only have 77 ships. 

I ask for a Ruling to be handed down on the reality of Fornoire having such a large navy in Artemia along with setting out some guidelines for nations to use in the future to gauge their own naval sizes. 

Must I remind all of you that the examples listed here do not spend nearly as much as I do. Most of NATO doesn't spend the minimum of 2% recommended by NATO itself. Who does spend like me, though?

Meet the People's Liberation Army Navy, the naval arm of the People's Republic of China. It has 492 vessels. And my specialty is the navy. Sure, by tonnage, they're not the biggest, but I've never specified my tonnage, nor the types of ships I possess.

[Image: empire_seal.png]

OFFICE OF THE FOUNDER

I have received the request by Noveaux for a ruling on the adherence of the Fornirian Navy to the stipulations of Corpus Juris. I have found the request to be appropriate in form and reasonable in intent. It is therefore that I hereby make use of my powers as Founder of Selene to accept the aforementioned request and review it for compliance with the laws of the region.

I invite the Noveaux and Fornoire to submit briefings and any information relevant to the case at their earliest convenience, and any third party that has similarly relevant information is welcome to share it with this Office. Provided that no outstanding events require otherwise, briefs shall be allowed for submission until April 12 at 14:00 EST, but Noveaux and Fornoire may by mutual agreement request an earlier date.

It is so ordered.

My points to summarize:

Fornoire spends 5% of 3 trillion on his military. That amounts to 150 Billion. If he maintains a modern navy that isn't decades old or second hand then he should be completely unable to afford to maintain a navy of 413 ships.

While Fornoire compares himself to China in that the Chinese military budget is comparable while maintaining a near 500 ships fleet, I must point out that China has a massive production base, insane population, and above all else is competing for regional dominance with a world superpower (the US). Fornoire does not have that kind of enemy to compete with on the regional level and as such should not be pumping that much into the ships. With even a fleet half his size Fornoire would have dominance over the local waters.

Even with a long history of naval tradition, incredibly high investment into the navy I still contend that Fornoire does not have the external pressure that would be necessary to facilitate or explain as to why he would have as many ships.

I also submit that by keeping the tonnage and classes of his ships ambiguous and not known it gives Fornoire an advantage to continue to state that he as 413 ships in his navy thus dissuading people from challenging him when push comes to shove. For all the international community knows he has a fleet of patrol boats.

Your Excellency,

It is clear to me that, since my country was a militaristic, centuries-old, absolute monarchy with pride of its navy, it spent a lot on it. The budget is $150 billion, and since Chinese spenditure is similar, if not almost identical, it is technically possible.

Whilst I do not know what the Chinese spend on their navy alone, I can tell you this: half of this budget goes into the navy. The Army and Air Force receive a quarter each.

Did you know a navy can secure vulnerable trade routes and can be used for war? The democratic government was planning to cut the navy, but no slash-wielding measures were made in the end.

It is not a matter of pressure or competition, it is a matter of technicalities. Technically, I can have this navy. I can. It's my money, so I decide where does it go. And naval pride can boost naval spending. Proud of its sea power and always a militaristic nation, Fornoire has not cut its navy.

And hell I can have it. Reality says yes, and I can roll my dice however the hell I wish.

I rest my case...until the next argument comes.

It is of my belief that this case should conclude early and the Founder should rule on this case at their earliest convenience.

I have taken note of this request. As indicated above, agreement by Noveaux and Fornoire is required for an early review of the Ruling request.

The time for briefs having passed, a ruling will be forthcoming later this week.