Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

A Sabbatical

The street bustled with activity. A small square surrounded by cafes, a tobacconist, a pub, and a small church. A few clouds covered half the square with the sun illuminating the church and the tavern. Sin and absolution represented by light.
Father Ash Wagner continued to dissect the square. It was far different than his homeland and from his current home, Pontilear. There were a few taverns in his homeland but you were chastised if you visited them. No one walked as freely in his homeland as they did here or Pontilear. He sat amazed at the people walking around as they pleased.
He recently immigrated to Pontilear. As a priest he needed to seek asylum from his homeland. Religions were forbidden and he had been tortured and imprisoned for his faith and then professing his calling. He kept a reminder of his past with the eyepatch over his left eye.
He came back to the square. It was busy but peaceful. He lit his first cigar and began coughing. It soon ceased.
Ash realized his freedom for the moment. Though he is a priest in Pontilear, he is on sabbatical in Byzantium and not currently under Pontilear's authority (Well, not technically). This could be a week free from everything.
He worried about Archbishop Unferold finding out about his transgressions. However, he wanted to explore the city more. His position in Foreign Relations could be compromised...he wanted to throw his cares into the wind now.
A man in a suit sat down beside him.

"Is this spot taken?"

"No, please" said Father Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The man in the suit sat beside Father Wagner. He wore a black suit with purple tie and red shirt. The man looked well kept. He lit a cigarette and crossed his legs.

"New to Byzantium?"

"Yes, on Sabbatical actually."

The man in the suit smiled and continued to smoke.

"Well Father, are you here to enjoy yourself?"

Father Wagner felt a slight jump in his heart. He had never been spoken to in such a way.

"Well, yes..."

"Why don't you follow me and you can change your clothes and get on with your fun".

Father Wagner stared at the man. He wanted to shed his responsibilities but could he trust this man? The man looked professional enough.

"What's your name?"
asked Father Wagner

"Peter O'Harry. I'm Catholic , as well".

Father Wagner smiled and started off with Peter O'Harry. His desires took over his senses. The past told him to run but he was enchanted by the young man in a suit. He had not felt this way since he left his homeland. It was not only his faith that brought about his scars.

A few hours later...

Sister Ignatius landed in Byzantium. She told the Cardinal that she would be meeting her sister. The Cardinal trusted her, how unfortunate she thought.
She awaited her car at the port. During that time she disappeared into a public toilet and came out dressed as in a a navy pantsuit with dark glasses. She covered her head in a floral scarf and wore dark glasses.
A dark sedan stopped in front of Sister Ignatius.

"Sister?"

"Yes"

Sister Ignatius entered the back of the car. A file was next her her.

"You know the address?" asked Sister Ignatius

"Of course" said the Driver

"Drive".

Father Wagner followed the man in the suit. He did not wish to call the man by name; in case he wanted to forget it. This is how he operated in his homeland. He didn't want to slip back into his old ways but Peter...no, the man was persuasive.

"How about a drink?" the man said.

"I'm not sure, I should be..."
said Father Wagner

"Two whiskeys neat".

Father Wagner glared at the man. He didn't want to drink anything that would lower his inhibitions. Yet, he didn't want to displease Peter. Damnit, he's a man in a suit...he doesn't have a bloody name! Father Wagner was furious with himself.
The drinks came and Peter sat down very close to Father Wagner.

"I'm a priest..." started Father Wagner.

"I'm sure a very good one. But you're not dead, are you?" said Peter.

"Dead?, no!"

Three Rounds Later...

Peter watched as the priest slowly drifted in and out.
He knew this would be his opportunity, he kissed Father Wagner. Father Wagner sat up and hissed but did nothing more.
Peter O'Harry called someone on his mobile:

"He is ready, where is the drop?"

On the other end:
"Hotel Augustus, Room 45".

Peter O'Harry disconnected with the last call. He then dialed another:

"This is Father Peters, for Cardinal O'Cronin"...

In the dark sedan...

Sister Ignatius went to pour herself her usual drink, a Sherry. She found Pontilear Merlot in her glass.

"May God forgive..."

Before she finished the car exploded.