Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Golden Leaf Ball

Chateaux des Fleurs, Noveaux

As Satine took her brief break from greeting arrivals since those arriving now were only Noveans she noticed the Chairman and his guest seemed to be having a bit of a tiff.   The young woman went off on her own while the Chairman seemed to seek out the young du Veer who was mingling with a rather large group of other corporate leaders along with the Republican Lords. Satine remembered how she had done that to her husband after becoming Empress a few times, such a thing usually drove a rift between the and if they hadn’t resolved that she would always put him first or their children then the Empress might now be a widow now but instead a divorced old woman. She sighed inwardly knowing that if she approached the woman she ran the risk of seeming rude but at the same point she knew all too well what the woman was going through. She slowly but surely made her way over to the young woman but was stopped as someone approached her. As she turned around Satine’s face lit up much like it had for the Director of Eraphalia, the aged man before her was the President of Sekia.

The pair had shared his three presidencies as she had been on the throne for some time. The relationship they shared was a close friendship and one that Satine did indeed truly cherish. As he approached and greeted her she embraced him in a familiar hug and kissed each cheek as was customary among close friends in Noveaux. “Zhulis!” She exclaimed excited to her friend. “It’s a wonder that you’ve made it, Director Fieldspeak is here as well, likely stirring up some trouble somewhere.” She said looking around, scanning the surprisingly thick crowd. The three nations, Noveaux, Eraphalia and Sekia had been working in close cooperation for the better part of two decades and it was going to become something more formal midway through next month. Mid-Novtide, after the Novean election was concluded the three states would convene in Sekia to sign what was dubbed the Prosperity Accords. Forming a close alliance, economic cooperation zone, cultural and education standards and research partnerships between the three nations creating what was the Tripartie. Each of the three stood to gain assistance in areas they were otherwise not focusing heavily on, thus augmenting their national security and other aspects of society. Truly it would be one of the greatest legacies for the three long after they passed on or retired. None of Satine’s likely successors were opposed to the move and indeed it even had near unanimous support from all the major parties in the Imperistarium and the Realm Lords. For Noveaux this was a natural step in the right direction. Satine would be in attendance at the ceremony but it would be signed by her successor.

That’s when Satine made eye contact with the young representative of Oscad. They had been invited but initially it seemed that due to their ongoing civil war crises they would not be in attendance here this night. Satine however was pleasantly surprised and excused herself from the company of Zhulis to greet these guests. A good hostess would never allow them to simply waltz in without being properly greeted, while the rest of the group that had been greeting guests had broken up and moved off to mingle it left it all to Satine to make the good impression now. As she approached she stuck out her hand to shake those of these two and introduced herself, “I am Satine and welcome to Noveaux.” She said with a beaming smile turning her attention directly towards the woman’s dress. “I think you look quite ravishing tonight my dear, please by all means mingle about and introduce yourselves to whomever. Ohshe said before departing back off into the crowd to find that woman she had been going to console in the first place. “On behalf of Noveaux we are sorry to hear about the situation in your nation, a terrible thing really but please try to enjoy this respite.” She said before bowing her head and striking off towards the woman.

Meanwhile Sebastien was pleased to see the Chairman of Nonfreesonia had taken up his invitation to join him and some others. “Ah gentlemen this is the Chairman of Nonfreesonia and Mr. Chairmen this is Hegemon Venatori of Balenos, Doge Thyri of Eltore and Grand Prince Allistrom of Ferelda.” He said introducing the three Republican Lords present, each shaking his hand and such before returning to their previous conversation about the Prosperity Accords that were to be signed in the coming weeks.

“About damn time we had closer cooperation with those countries, I’m surprised we’re only now making this more formal of an arrangement.” Hegemon Venatori said before sipping some champagne. He was a senior man with white hair and a finely trimmed and kept beard. He had somewhat of a grandfatherly disposition though his eyes spoke of a much darker time of conflict through the halls of the Hegemony. He was a seasoned politician having come up in the absolute nightmare that would be Balenese politics. His own father was a Patrician and his mother one from another family as well. Being raised in such an environment was difficult as expectations were always high and if you fell short, even by a little, the admonitions were large. “Balenos stands to gain from this quite a bit, for us at least it means an increase in foreign opportunities.” He added much to the agreement of the others present. 

Abigail stood there trying her best get the attention of the barkeeper but with no success. She looked broken. She was going to be the wife of the chairman a position that held power in and of itself. And here she stood shaking her hands at a bar maid not even being able to get a drink. She slowly moved away from the bar into a more secluded area by herself and did her best to fight back tears. She felt pathetic. Here she was trying to be something that she was not while her fiance was nowhere to be seen. The stress of the evening finally got to her and as she sat down in the corner hoping no one would see how she felt tears pour down her cheek.

" it's a pleasure to meet all of you." Griffin said as he shook each of their hands before standing there and quietly observing the conversation about these prosperity Accords. Since his own Nation have free trade agreements with most of the members any economic benefit seen it infirectly benefit his Nation.
" cooperation between nations is always to the benefit of the masses. My father always said the best way to guarantee peace what through a mans wallet. By further linking your economies you'll have even greater prosperity and guarantee peace. Which is very good because it seems this world is hell bent on tearing itself apart." Griffin said before looking around and seeing a server carrying a tray of champagne before quickly darting over and grabbing himself a flute of champagne and rejoining the group " so do any of you have any investments in my nation? "

After Empress Satine greeted Director Fieldspeak, Dr. Hamson and his wife, the three went back to their secluded discussion, even if the director is speaking at a rather loud volume. Each held smiles after the empress greeted them, especially Director Fieldspeak who held a respect for Empress Satine. First, it was due to Empress Satine being a leader, second her longevity, her personality, and the fact that the two knew each other. He also took note of the President Zhulis of Sekia. While he did know President Zhulis, it was not to a detail that Director Fieldspeak wanted. That is going to be one of the higher priorities for the director, to know one of his future formal allies more than just on the political surface side of things.

"That is... Empress Satine," Dr. Hamson mused openly with a smile, "Director, she is an interesting individual. Warm and open, two perfect qualities for a leader of a nation. Wouldn't you agree my dear?"

Dr. Hamson's wife, Sofia W. Hamson, only rolled her eyes before a jesting look formed upon her delicate face as she replied, "I agree, but isn't our wonderful director also warm and open? Yet you act so cold to Director Fieldspeak. That's hypocritical Georgie, you can't go and flip around like a coin on these issues!"

"N-now dear t..." Dr. Hamson stammered at the response from his wife before he quickly composed himself, "now dear you can't compare them... they're apples and oranges," stopping to push up his glasses, he continued, "a-and I prefer if you don't openly use that nickname in public."

The director placed a hand on Dr. Hamson's shoulder while holding a smile as he replied in his usual scientific yet mischievous voice, "Now now Dr. Hamson, you cannot just simply say that your own wife cannot... call you Georgie? My, Dr. Hamson, don't you know that could cause rifts in relationships? Tear apart families? You must embrace it fully Dr. Georgie, to embrace your wife's gifts to you. Besides, Georgie sounds a lot better than Hamson... in fact I'll call you Georgie from now on. In fact, I'll call my secretary about this Dr. Georgie. What university did you get your doctorate from? Ah," the director pulled out his smartphone and tapped in a few buttons before continuing, "... University of Hersa? I'll give them a call alright? And now, while I would like to continue conversing to a scientific mind like Dr. Georgie here, I must be going. There are inquisitive creatures to converse with! Leaders, what a rare specimen."

Before either Dr. Hamson or Sofia could respond to the behavior of Director Fieldspeak, he walked off into the distance. Well, by distance, the director began to look for individuals. The slightly energetic spring, the excited eyes, and the really mischievous smile that is more glowing than a searchlight highlighted the director. He was on the hunt, on the prowl. There were friends to make and people to exploit from. Today, the mind of Eraphalia is in the mood for late-night pizza. Seeing this, Dr. Hamson quietly clenched his fists as a sign of blessing.

"Now Dr. Georgie," Sofia singed as she analytically glanced at the scene before them, looking for interesting individuals or potential beneficial deals that would aid Eraphalia. Her search wasn't long as she spotted several individuals from other countries. Pondering for a moment, Sofia glanced at a group of individuals discussing about the Prosperity Accords before nudging her husband, "say, how about we start from there? Seems to be a group of nobles and a member from Nonfreesonia."

"Ah yes, a free trade partner and political leaders of an allied nation that we'll be signing with," Dr. Hamson nodded his head as his fingers mimicked the motions of snapping without actually doing so, "my dear, it would be the best interest for us to converse with them first and proceed with the others."

"Keep our allies and trade partners happy before the beloved director comes and bombards everyone with his talks?" Sofia asked as she linked hands with her husband.

"Well..." Dr. Hamson used his free arm to scratch the back of his head, "that as well my dear. Let us go and converse with them first before Director Fieldspeak takes the initiative to parade himself over everyone's sanity."

Chateaux des Fleurs, Noveaux
          Satine was close enough to the woman to notice how she tried to avoid contact with others and then noticed the all too familiar fight to stave off crying. That kind of look was familiar for some of Satine’s children, the reason though was one that Satine’s husband had endured throughout their life together. He had always been a stalwart supporter of hers and when he passed Satine truly felt as though a light had gone out in her life. The impact, some might say, was quite heavy with the Empress being a bit more of a recluse in the last decade or so of her reign. They wouldn’t be wrong, that much Satine would confirm sometime later in life, she mused that perhaps writing her memoirs in her retirement would be a good way to past the time at her villa in Estel. She approached the young woman, picking up a couple glasses of brandy on the way, Satine believed champagne might not do the trick here.

“This might help,” She said offering a glass to the woman. Satine took a moment and attempted to remember the woman’s name when she was introduced to her near the beginning of the festivities. “Abigale is it? My husband went through the same things as you. Would you like to go somewhere more quiet and private?” Satine offered motioning to a little gap in the hedges not more than fifteen paces from where the pair stood. “A nice garden is through there, I’ll come with if you want.” Satine offered. True some might say the job of the hostess was to be at the festivities themselves but Satine belived that the wellbeing of her guests was the most important thing and if that meant making sure this woman was helped by going away from the others then so be it.

Meanwhile the young Queen of Mitan, Hyperia, had brought a guest to the ball. His name was Ollivier Bast, the twenty-four-year-old Duke of Lienne who, two years’ prior succeeded his father after the prior’s death from cancer. The young man with nearly white hair and a killer smile was beaming. He and Hyperia were courting though neither called it that and instead referred to it as ‘refined company’. “Oli” Hyperia said with a devilish smile knowing full well the other didn’t much appreciate being referred to by such a childish pet name. Then again they had been friends as children, playing together whenever his father visited her father’s court in Lieu-de-Lys. “Could you get us some champagne please?” She said batting her eyes at him.

“Fine” He said with a sigh before heading off in search of something to water down her ego with. Ollivier noticed some people here and there that he recognized but beyond the borders of Mitan he was mostly lost for the who’s who of Noveaux let alone the international stage. Sure he knew the President of Sekia and Director of Eraphalia, least he knew of them because of the coming Prosperity Accords. Once he had indeed fetched the champagne he lingered a bit and scanned the crowd for anyone that he should probably talk to prior to seeing to Hyperia’s thirst. He lingered for just a bit longer before returning and handing her the champagne with a smile. 

Hearing the Aged voice Abigail raised her head. Her face was one of our not expecting to see the empress offering her a glass. She took it immediately and gave a nod of gratitude " thanks" she said quietly but still enough for the empress could hear.

She took a quick sip of it. Bourbon. This is exactly what she needed strong brown liquor. As the emperess talk to she looked surprised. She was right. She might understand what she was going through. yes it's Abigail. Professor Abigail Sky." She said with a little bit more confidence before looking over to where the empress was pointing " i...id like that" she started out finally bringing her face up to stare into the empress's eyes. Her makeup was running down her face marking the pattern of her tears. Her warm green eyes gave us the obvious sign of distress.
If there was ever someone who needed at the very least a hug and at most an ear and some advice it was Abigail sky. Stuck in a foreign country trying to play Queen while her boyfriend chuckled and chattef In the distance in the distance with the Republican Lords.

Abigail followed the empress into the seclusion of the garden. Her eyes widenen as she stared at the absolute Majesty of it all. White flowers as thick as snow covered the bushes and surroundings. Their petals cushioned each step. Even if they're arboretum's and botanical gardens located within the city of Extrithica there was nothing like this. Abigail followed the empress sitting next to her before taking another large Swig of her Bourbon and taking a moment to wipe the makeup out of her eye. " how did he do this? your husband? how did he survive this roll?" She is taking a long an exasperated sigh

[RE:  Nofreedomland (In front of the two he noticed another leader of an unknown delegation. Well he was unaware of what nation they had a ride from it certainly couldn't Hertz to become acquainted and plant the seeds of what could become a fruitful free trade Arrangement between the two Nations)]

To JEM of Aethelia, another person stood out who must be the  leader of a nation. Whereas JEM came with the best dress she could find, she came with the most impressive necklace ever. Asking around to find out where she was from, JEM found out that she represents Nonfressonia. Seeing another impressive leader, and one who may be just as anxious to be here, JEM approaches her and her husband who she brought along.

"Hi there, I am JEM, of Aethelia. I'm somewhat new to international relations, but I came hoping to meet others and make new friends. Perhaps I could even find out how your country produced such an impressive and shiny necklace... I am already impressed with you and your nation."

It's all about making a good first impression, and it looked like JEM of Aethelia nailed it. She noticed that the Empress was checking out her dress, and seemed to be quite impressed. Perhaps if this event goes well, JEM could have one just like it made for her later, but that would have to come later as the Empress and current hostess Satine was quite busy introducing and greeting others. Feeling unusually confident from the first impression, JEM greeted the other important people of Noveaux, before needing to decide what to do next.

Unsure if there was a set agenda for the ball, and thus unsure what would be expected of a leader at the moment, she decided that the food looked awfully tempting. Sending her chosen partner Sorsha to claim a table, an empty one but one with room for anyone to join them, JEM filled a plate as high as possible with samples of all the food, and got a couple glasses of the most colorful and brightest wine, which would surely be the best. If Noveaux is anything like Aethelia, they should interpret this great interest in their hospitality as a sign of respect and appreciation for the hostess, which should help solidify the good first impression. This should also be a good way to see what will happen next, will another leader show up to talk to at this table, or will be some kind of special address to all the leaders soon? It did look like some other nations were still arriving, so perhaps it was time to patient and wait. And eat and drink a lot.