Region of Selene

Full Version: Courtship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Parthenion, Parthenopias

Ioulian was fixing his tie and looking over the other members of his house. His grandfather, parents and siblings were all present and dressed the part of the Imperial House. It was his cousin though that really commanded the air of authority and respect though, after all Alexandros was Emperor, Kyriarchos ton Parthenion. The young leader of the nation, while he had been merely the Head of State from December on till last month he now stood as the Head of Government. The weight of the responsibilities now on his shoulders showed from the way he carried himself to the discoloration under his eyes. A weight that none in the family would willingly wish upon any other, Alexandros however seemed to manage it well enough.

They all stood on the steps to the Palatul pe Stanci, the official residence of the Kyriarchos in Parthenion. It was quite a bit warmer in the Capital than it was in the highlands where House Atrus hailed from. The mountain air was sorely missed by those present. Banners fluttered in the gentle breeze as birds chirped about. The city was awash with the official colors of the Imperial House of Parthenopias and the Royal House of Aldenfojur as their Crown Princess was visiting. Well she was visiting Ioulian again as he had done a handful of times by this point. They were courting in a sense.

Yes some might say that it was a rather archaic method to going about things. Arranged marriage was not something he would call it though as the powers that be were making sure the pair were comfortable with one another and the matters at hand. Ioulian however was rather thrilled by the prospects of a new culture and country to call home. He had always been interested in the foreign things and as such had chosen to major in International Affairs when he attended University. His interest had never waned and when Alexandros became Kyriarchos his interest grew. Thankfully his cousin had even allowed him to sit in on a few Foreign Policy meetings.

This courtship was something of an unexpected but quite welcome surprise. Today was yet one more step in the ongoing journey. The princess would be coming for a visit, tonight would be a dinner and then over the next few days they would be spirited away to the highlands and thus to the Atrus Estate. There they would enjoy a rather simplistic few days of calm and quiet. Then a large ball would be held and then that is when Alexandros was set to make some kind of announcement. Ioulian admittedly wasn’t sure what the announcement would be about but he had his suspicious it would be about the Kyriarchos’ boyfriend. They had, after all been in an on again off again relationship for the better part of six years. Who knows, perhaps it was them finally tying the knot.

Trumpets blaring signaled that the motorcade carrying the Princess and her entourage had finally arrived at the Palace and it would be only a moment before they pulled up and doors were opened, greetings exchanged and everyone was ushered into the palace’s reception rooms for some cordial relaxation and conversation.
Parthenion, Parthenopias

Staring outside of the car as it pulled up to the Palatul pe Stanci, Ayli smiled as she spotted Ioulian waiting on the steps. Though their courtship is arranged, Ayli has grown to like Ioulian over the months. She hoped life in Aldenfojur won't be too difficult for him with the responsibilities of being a dual head of state, but being with the man has has mostly thrown this worry away as Ioulian has shown to be capable in his responsibilities. Ayli is glad she has gotten to know Ioulian, now she just wishes his strange tongue came easier to her. As the doors opened letting her entourage out, Ayli stepped out only to trip before being caught by her uncle.

"Tay ne dæ na aven valner hüslav, nadæ?"[You don't wear heels often do you?]

"Naven, ik præva fleütvaln"[Not really, I prefer flat shoes.] she replied to her uncle before fixing her dress and glancing at the rest of her entourage. 

Before her stood the two body guards sent to protect her, though why  they would come when her mother sent her monster of an uncle along, she will never know, and Mr.Smitten. Mr.Smitten is a robust man and the chief diplomat to Parthenopias for Aldenfojur. Together the entourage turned towards the Imperial  Family of  Parthenopias and bowed. With Mr.Smitten translating, Ayli greets the   Emperor and his family before turning and greeting Ioulian as it is custom in Aldenfojur to greet those closest to you last.

"It's good to see you again oo-lein" she winced slightly at butchering his name, "I hope you have been well without me around to keep you company?"
As the car pulled up and the herald announced their arrival the entire Imperial Family stiffened up a bit, now the cameras would begin to flash frantically as this was one of the few opportunities they would have to see the couple together and the other guests. The media while free in Parthenopias was rarely allowed into government or imperial matters. When they were they took full advantage of the opportunity to get as many shots as possible. Privacy was paramount and the members of the household did enjoy more than some of their colleagues around the world.

Ioulian couldn’t help but laugh a little at Ayli’s comment. He had been privately tutored in her language so as to better acclimate if this courtship panned out. He was by no means fluent however and while he did grasp the concept that she was complaining about her shoes, he wasn’t sure on the exact wording.

“Welcome to Parthenopias, your Royal Highness.” Ioulian said bowing to her. The others followed suit though Alexander neither bowed or lowered his head as he was the reigning sovereign of the lands they were in. “I hope your journey was not difficult.” Ioulian added. Though she butchered his name, he had to admit to himself that he had been considering changing it if they married. He’d been thinking of picking something in the local dialect similar to his but different.

“Welcome Ayli of House zæ Rænn. We greet you this day and the days going forward.” Alexander said with a smile. He was wearing a black suit with a ocean blue sash decorated with several medals and honors. He had opted for the golden lily crown rather than the state crown as it was lighter and less of a burden to wear on the move. The other women present were wearing sundresses though they too wore sashes though theirs were crimson rather than blue. The men wore suits with crimson sashes as well. It was to denote they were members of the Imperial House but not the Imperial Family. Alexander wasn’t married and had no children thus he was the lone member of the Imperial Family.

The group after greetings would be ushered into the Palace and through the immaculate halls of white marble and large glass windows. Paintings of the past Emperors of Parthenopias lined the right wall while the left was the windows. Above were beautifully crafted white gold chandeliers. The floors were white marble though there were beautiful wave like designs of blue marble. In fact if one paid close enough attention there was an epic being told in the blue marble of the myths of Parthenopias’ past.

The meeting room was flanked on three sides by banks of windows while a skylight further let in the natural light. It was technically a sunroom that had plenty of plants and just outside the window sat a tall tree. It was thicker than a car and taller than the palace. Alexander motioned for Ayli and company to sit across from him. Ioulian sat next to Alexander on his right which was a bit of an honor at this point but mattered little to those present. It didn’t take long for idle chatter to break out among the Imperial Household and Ioulian began to ask Ayli some more questions about the journey.
Parthenion, Parthenopias

(Alyi's POV)

I sat in my chair with the rest of the two parties thinking about what set me down this path in my life. I never really wished to be in the spot light. I was content were i was. Yet here I was, sitting in the palace of a foreign power with a handsome count for a fiance right across from me. Most certainly it was my sister  that set me upon this journey. The eldest of us Rænn siblings, instead of upholding the burden that she was prepared for her entire life, she eloped with her boyfriend. Now it's up to me to take her place. I can only imagine the grin on her face.

"Is something the matter Ayli?", asked the previously mentioned count.

"Oh no, sorry Ioulian, my thoughts were somewhere else", I relied, giving a small smile.

"Ah, is that so? Well what do you think about the plan to go up to the Highlands?" he said while giving me an inquisitive look.

"it intrigues me whether it will remind me of the highland areas in Aldenfojur.  I've always been quite fond of the mountain air, especially that of Fraiskamüdan."

"Isn't that a volcano?"

"Yes it is. The hot springs there are to live for." I proclaimed with a large smile as some memories resurface of the springs."Next time you visit us in Aldenfojur, I'll take you there."

We continued talking for awhile about the  excursions before being given a tour of the Palace and continuing on for the day. One perk to being in the spotlight though is all the amazing places that i get to see, such as this place here.