Region of Selene

Full Version: Smaller nations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I held an idea in my mind for quite a while, which I thought could be executed efficiently in practice and could bring even more life to Media Cavea. In the real world, big nations with large industry and influence are not the only inhabitants of our globe, inbetween them exist a lot of smaller nations. Since people are very unlikely to choose to be a small nation, that isn't really significant to the world (except for when it comes down to diplomacy, culture, etc.), I thought it would be a good idea to let people who have already enstablished their nation on Artemia to have two or three extra smaller nations to work with.
 It may seem like a chaotic plan at first and I do understand that it could cause potential difficulties and a lot of stress when updating the map, but you have to sit back and think of the possibilities. By roleplaying as other nations, people have a chance to get into the mindset of a different population and explore different ideologies. It will also allow them to approach other nations that they otherwise would've not been able to interact with, through their main nation, maybe due to the distance between them making them oblivious to one another or maybe just because of disinterest or any other possible explanation.
 In the following spoiler, I will talk about the Xialtan incident with the territory of Ochyro.
ShowSpoiler
 If you've been reading the Red Mantle, you probably would've noticed the articles about the small territory that was annexed by Xialta. As it turns out, this incident is not canon anymore, since a conversation with Justinian Kalominos revealed that there is no nation that occupies that piece of land to begin with, therefore there is nothing to conquer.
 One way to solve this issue is, in my opinion, to make it go hand-in-hand with the idea I proposed. Basically, I was thinking that Ochyro could be a big piece of land belonging to another, smaller, nation (Let's call it Argyronia) that Xialta annexed, in order to stop the mayhem that was occuring within it, the kind of mayhem that lead to the terrorist attack in Molyvdokastro (hehe... "lead"... "molyvdos"... bad joke...). This would lead to a very angry little nation, which would state loudly its issues with the imperialistic acts of its larger neighbor, which would start some intriguing diplomatic discussions about the ethicality of the annexation.
 In case this idea will never be put into action, I still hope there is a way to make the annexation canon, if possible...
It's worth pointing out that while the consideration will naturally involve the roleplay benefits of lettting people have smaller secondary nations, we must also consider the maximum size of such nations and their impact on the available space on the map. We have size limits precisely because at some point the map may run out of space, so we can't just let people fill the map with their own nations, when future users must also have a chance at roleplaying with their own nation.

That is not to say this is a bad idea, I definitely think it's very interesting and worth discussing. I just wanted to explain some of the things that we will have to consider during our discussion, so we can reach the best and more feasible decision.
I would support this idea. Given recent population trends, we shouldn't run out of space on the map for quite some time.
The size of the small nations can range from Estonia small all the way down to Malta small and even smaller if people want to, why not have our Sealands and Vaticans around. I personally doubt that we'll be able to surpass the size of Sartoria if we combined every member's extra nations, let alone the fact that it's optional and I doubt that every member will want to come up with their own extra tiny nations. As for the number of nations, I think two extra or three extra are good enough numbers.
Hmm. I can think of arguments for and against this. Mostly I would be concerned with establishing a clear set of rules about these nations at the risk of players who choose to do so gaining an inherent advantage. 

However I also had ideas for countries besides the theme I'm doing now. So i would probably make a smaller nation.

Overall I think it's a good idea to at least treat unclaimed space as if there third world countries there or something, but I don't know that I agree with them being player controlled.
(12-18-2016, 08:30 PM)The Drewish Empire Wrote: [ -> ]I would support this idea. Given recent population trends, we shouldn't run out of space on the map for quite some time.

I blame myself. I ran the recruitment script and now it's not running anymore. It'll be a few weeks before I can even send the file to anyone. Now to continue reading the thread.
(12-19-2016, 01:05 AM)Qastari Wrote: [ -> ]Overall I think it's a good idea to at least treat unclaimed space as if there third world countries there or something,

I doubt that will ever happen.
(12-19-2016, 11:20 AM)The Constantine Lambros Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2016, 08:30 PM)The Drewish Empire Wrote: [ -> ]I would support this idea. Given recent population trends, we shouldn't run out of space on the map for quite some time.

I blame myself. I ran the recruitment script and now it's not running anymore. It'll be a few weeks before I can even send the file to anyone. Now to continue reading the thread.
Don't blame yourself. It's fine. I just always thought that the map restrictions weren't very necessary since it's unlikely the map will ever completely fill up. Either increasing the size limit or doing this country thing would be a good idea to fill up the map.
If there weren't size restrictions, people would more often than not claim huge nations. It's not a matter of how many nations there might be, it's a matter of how large they are.
Yeah I get that. Other regions have a policy where after being in the region for a long time, and being very active in that time, then one can get extra land for his/her country
Pages: 1 2