Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Puglov and Language as It Relates to the Western Continent Arcadia

This is a ruling request regarding whether a wholly made-up language utilizing a character-based writing system (similar to Chinese but NOT Chinese - I think the proper term for this sort of writing system is a syllable-based logography) as well as the usage of syllables, tone, and context to convey spoken meaning would be allowed and realistic to the setting of the Artemia as it is currently. In here, I have compiled a list of evidence and arguments in favor of using such a language.

Point #1: Artemia as a whole is a world that is kind of an alternate Earth but has a number of clear differences. The positioning of the continents, the size of the continents, the distribution of islands- it is a world that is geographically much different than that of Earth as we know it. This is made even more clear by the fact that the western continent rather than having a history and ethnicities similar to that of Native Americans has much more in common with Europeans. Additionally, it has not yet been clearly defined where ethnic and linguistic differences might arise. Much like Russia, Turkey, and Asia are on a similar continent near the same regions and have different histories, myths and legends, and languages, it is entirely possible the same could be said of the continent Arcadia. From the tip of Akarus to the peninsula of Selene through Sartoria onto plot 135, we have a very sizable landmass. I haven't done exact calculations, but it looks to me like it could be a good deal more than 10-15 million square kilometers, not quite as big as Russia and China combined but close. That's not including the rest of the continent from plot 138 (recently approved to be Puglov) southwestward and down. Who's to say a divergence in language couldn't have occurred around this point, especially if we add in that parts of Puglov and the plots near Puglov may or may not have been a bit geographically isolated due to mountain ranges?

Point #2: There were no conditions or standards set on what types of languages could be where so that a newbie such as myself could be forewarned before beginning development in Artemia.

Point #3: Although, Indo-European is identified as a basis for the languages on the western continent of Arcadia; it should be noted that again, this Earth is different and technically, there really isn't an Indo-European. The framework for the languages in the western continent of Arcadia, then, heavily based on actual Indo-European languages or no could've come about very differently. On a historical basis, writing systems usually evolve in the following way:
  • picture writing system: glyphs (simplified pictures) directly represent objects and concepts. In connection with this the following substages may be distinguished:
    • Mnemonic: glyphs primarily a reminder;
    • Pictographic: glyphs directly represent an object or a concept such as (A) chronological, (B) notices, © communications, (D) totems, titles, and names, (E) religious, (F) customs, (G) historical, and (H) biographical;
    • Ideographic: graphemes are abstract symbols which directly represent an idea or concept.

• Transitional system: graphemes refer not only to the object or idea which it represents but to its name as well.
  • Phonetic system: graphemes refer to sounds or spoken symbols, and the form of the grapheme is not related to its meanings. This resolves itself into the following substages:
    • Verbal: grapheme (logogram) represents a whole word;
    • Syllabic: grapheme represents a syllable;
    • Alphabetic: grapheme represents an elementary sound.
(Directly from wikipedia, so, of course, this is no good for purely academic writing, but I think it may be helpful here in the case of roleplaying)

Logographic systems like one I wish to use would include systems besides Chinese such as Cuneiform and Mayan. In fact, logographic systems are usually some of the earliest forms of writing. It would not be so far-fetched to say that the languages of the Arcadia continent could have evolved and Puglov (and perhaps some other countries if they choose) may have ended up branching off and not evolving quite as quickly or having other reasons for not evolving (times of war, disaster, and/or hardship, for instance, may make it difficult to try and restructure a language)

Point #4: Puglov has additional linguistic evolution due to a shared history and influence of the Parthenian Empire (Parthenopias). Besides the usage of a different language, Puglov will also be using a language that does fit within the context of the continent, Parthenian (based on Greek and partial Italian). Puglov will also be utilizing a newer writing system as a result of this influence like (but again, NOT) Japanese romaji in which the character-based system is transformed into a 26-letter "westernized" alphabet that nonetheless borrows elements from the older writing system.

Point #5: The importance of this topic in regards to my nation is fairly high. Puglov as a word for a nation is unusual but one I wish to keep due to attachment to the name. Before I could even realize it, I started developing a language system for Puglov in order to explain the name. This began by breaking the name Puglov into two parts: pug and lov and assigning a couple of meanings to each part. It was then I realized that doing this might necessitate the use of a logographic system of writing instead of a westernized alphabet where words are represented by individual letters. 

Point #6: At this current point in time, Puglov's connection to the world of Artemia has started developing through a shared history with Parthenopias. Plot 138 on the western Arcadia continent is an ideal vantage point for this history and having to relocate may mean having to drastically change such shared history as well as remove Puglov from where most of the potential roleplay opportunities are.

Points have been made, but I am willing to provide more information upon request. I will, of course, respect any ruling that you make.

Uh, I would believe that you can do anything you wish? I do not believe there are restrictions on languages or whatever.

I was under a similar impression, so I don't blame you for being confused. As long as the language is something that could reasonably exist, doesn't grant any advantages to the player, isn't something magic-based or what have you, then it would be fine. But then, I was told by the co-founder that since the area where I'm staking my claim is surrounded by Indo-European languages, my language should be Indo-European-based. Then, I was later told by the founder I should request a ruling on the matter, hence why this topic is here.

I suppose this could loosely fit into a Corpis Juris sort of rule, but it seems unfair for a number of reasons. One, there are no factbooks or other sources of information for the surrounding regions on the western continent of Arcadia; I would've never known the languages were Indo-European based if I hadn't asked or requested more information and by that point I was already developing history with another member of the forums.

Two, I've already pointed out why a language with a logographic writing system could still reasonably exist in the area, especially when one considers how large the landmass of the western continent is, and the fact that the divides where different ethnicities and languages have not apparently been established and could theoretically be anywhere since this is an alternate kind of Earth that is very, very geographically different from the real Earth.

Three, it seems a bit misleading to be told Artemia is a community-built region if new members of the community have arbitrary, unwritten rules enforced upon them when they do try to build up the world.